Score 95 James Suckling
The 2019 vintage is a very high-quality vintage, which has delivered extraordinary wines, and this Malbec is no exception. It is an explosive wine, which fills all the senses. It has a great grip on the palate and a long, fruity finish with mineral notes, typical of its place of origin: a vineyard with calcareous soils in the heights of the Uco Valley.
From a vineyard with soils with a large presence of caliche (calcium carbonate conglomerate) that give this Malbec from Gualtallary a special mineral salinity.
True mountain Malbec, with a broad mid-palate, represents the other extreme of Malbec as opposed to the “fruit bombs” some associate with the variety. Great personality given by its origin in soils dominated by caliche.
"Dense and powerful, but in a very fresh and perfumed way, with notes of violet, hibiscus, oyster shell, and warm stones to black and blue fruit. Almost a little gamey with a bit of wet earth. Full-bodied and quite dense on the palate. There is volume, with succulents and real structure, and, of course, a certain fine austerity. Quite purist and intellectual, far from flattering. Give it some time to fully relax. Best to drink after 2025." james suckling
- Altos Las Hormigas Winery
- Score 9 5 James Suckling
- red type
- Harvest 2019
- Malbec Varietal
- 100% Malbec blend
- Aged for 18 months in unroasted French oak foudres of 3500 liters
- Winemaker Alberto Antonini, Attilio Pagli, Leonardo Erazo
- Alcohol content 14.7%
- Gualtallary Region , Tupungato, Mendoza
- Service Temperature: 16 to 18° C
- Country Argentina
- Pairing Red Meats, Pork, Grilled, Smoked, Roast, Strong Cheese, Hard Cheese, Sauces With Onion, Mushrooms, Sauces With Black Pepper